Hold your hats and get ready because competition season is approaching. I realize that some of you studio owners have already attended a few competitions this year. For you guys, I may be a month or two behind BUT it’s not too late to streamline your competition season even if it has already started. Back in my studio days, our company didn’t start competing until early spring. Meagan and I would generally start ordering costumes and registering for competitions around October.
Whether your studio’s competition season has started already or will start in a few months, I thought it might be handy to have our 3 favorite ways to prepare so you can breathe a little easier whenever it gets going.
As an upgrade, I have provided a FREE competition master spreadsheet for you to get organized, I’ll talk about what is included down below. If you would like to skip the reading and GET THAT SPREADSHEET, look for the button below! hehe.
- Create an email template. For anyone that attends more than one competition a year, it is essential to create an email template for yourself. I’m talking about that email that you send before EVERY competition. You know, the one where you tell families what time to be there, links to the schedules, details about the performance, etc. Have you ever found yourself writing that SAME email time and time again? Guilty party here! Save yourself, literally, hours of time and create a canned response or email template. Instead of writing the whole email, you will just need to fill in the new information. Not sure how to get this set up? Watch this tutorial on creating canned responses in Gmail.
- Have a competition bag fully stocked and ready to go. If you have ever had a baby, you can think about this like your hospital bag. You buy everything that you need ahead of time, pack a bag of your choice and let it sit there until you’re ready to go. As a studio owner, you are going to need a lot of stuff. If you are anything like me, you will forget half of it and you will also be running late. Save your sanity and do it beforehand. I would maybe even keep it in your car. Just make sure to re-stock the week after use. Not sure what to bring? Here is a quick list of the basics, if you have anything to add please let us know in the comments!
- Make up for touch ups
- Hair supplies (bobby pins, hair spray, brush, hair net, etc.)
- Sewing kit
- First Aid kit (this one is crucial, we have been to a few competitions where they did not have any first aid supplies when we needed them!)
- Music back up
- Water bottle (or 2!)
- Extra phone charger
- Sweater for cold theaters
- Create a master competition spreadsheet. You could go crazy with all the information you need to keep organized! Measurements, birthdays, who’s in what piece, etc. You have to know it all and will have to pull from that information time and time again. Take the time to type this information instead of keeping it on the 50 pieces of paper it’s on right now (hehe, don’t worry we were ALSO guilty of this). Having this spreadsheet on something like Dropbox or Google Drive will make it accessible from anywhere with internet which can be nice when you want to work from home. If you are needing some inspiration with your spreadsheet you can use mine! I have created a sheet on Google Drive to keep track of pieces/dancers along with one to track all the costume information. It really saved us during competition season and will definitely help you get organized this year! You can get it below.
Get Your Competition Master Sheet!
Subscribe to get our competition master spreadsheet. Get everything in the same place and reap the benefits later!
Well, are you feeling pumped and ready to get organized?! I hope so! Competition season can be STRESSFUL. Taking the extra time now to get organized will help ease that stress come Spring so you can have some fun!
Do you have a competition hack that could help other studio owners? We would love to hear about it in the comments!